Thursday, February 5, 2015

Getting Back on Track


My name is Reagan and I am a binge eater.

It’s not about hunger at all. When I sit down to eat a meal, I have decent eating habits. I use pretty small portions to begin with, I eat slowly, and stop when I’m full. I don’t even like the feeling of being overly full.

Binge eating (like other eating disorders) is a mental problem. I am not going to binge on something healthy; I am going to binge on sweets because that’s my vice. Sometimes I don’t even realize I’m doing it. I’m not talking about absent-mindedly eating a whole bag of chips because I am distracted by the TV. I’m talking about standing in front of the pantry, shoving cookies in my mouth until I’m sick. I come out of it thinking “holy cow what did I just do?” I hide food in my desk and in my work bag. It is terrible.

When I am actively eating healthy foods all the time, I usually don’t binge. It’s one of those things that I can keep under control for a while, but once it starts, it’s very hard to stop. Case in point: I snacked during the Superbowl and it has been bad all week since then. I’ve been feeling guilty and down about it—I had started up some snacking last week but had planned to get it together this week and it just hasn’t gone over well.

As I have tried to create a healthier lifestyle for myself, I have tried to put certain things in place to make giving up binging more successful:
  1. I allow myself one cheat meal a week. I really enjoy eating out, but it is one thing that I can do once in a while without it setting off a spiral.
  2. I do not allow myself certain things that I have been “addicted to” in the past. For example, soda. If I have even one soda, I am going to start having one every day. I haven’t had a soda in over a month now and I’ve only missed it a couple of times. Food can be an addiction (a horrible addiction, as you can’t actually stop eating) and addictions that you give up cannot be returned in moderation. It’s just a flat out “no.”
  3.  I have strived to find healthy foods that I really enjoy. I love bananas, strawberries, quinoa, shrimp, scrambled egg whites, Greek yogurt, and spinach, so I try to incorporate these things into my diet often. If I associate healthy food with an awful taste, it’s just not going to happen.
  4. I drink a protein shake almost everyday. Right now I drink Shakeology because it is a BeachBody product (and it really helps to regulate me and give me more energy), but all protein products have had a good effect on my diet. If I can trick my body into thinking I’m drinking a chocolate milkshake or a fruity smoothie, all while getting protein, I am satisfying one of my sweet cravings but getting what my body needs!


What I need to START doing to help stop my current binge cycle and to help avoid future ones:
  1. Drink more water. It is about 6:00 pm right now and I have had 15 ounces of water today. FIFTEEN OUNCES. Unacceptable.
  2. When I am sneaking into my desk or pantry for snacks that I shouldn’t be eating, I need to distract myself by getting up and walking around or going to talk to someone.
  3. Get rid of the snacks in the first place…
  4. Get better about sticking to my meal plan.


These are all things that are going to be part of my long-term plan to stop binge eating. So what I am going to do RIGHT NOW?



I’m not normally a person who would advocate for any type of cleanse, but my body needs just that—to be cleansed of all the crap I’ve put in it over the past two weeks. Because of this, I have decided to try BeachBody’s 3-Day Refresh. The reason why I am going to do this (as opposed to a normal cleanse) is that it actually involves EATING. You do drink shakes (Shakeology once a day, Fiber Sweep once a day, and Vanilla Fresh-very high protein drink-twice a day), but you are also eating fruits, veggies, and some fats. You can also have green or herbal tea! 3-Day Refresh is designed to help you get rid of your bad habits so that you can jumpstart your weightloss and feel better.


What do I need from you during this 3-Day Refresh? SUPPORT! It’s going to be a tough three days but it’s just that—three days. I am going to be hosting a special 3-Day Refresh Challenge Group that will have A LOT of hands on coaching and motivation throughout the three days. If you are interested in jumpstarting your weightloss, getting rid of bad habits, or giving your body the reset that it needs, please contact me in the contact form below!

No comments:

Post a Comment