Sunday, February 8, 2015

Excuses, Excuses


Before I started on my journey to a healthier lifestyle, I was all about excuses. As a teacher, I work about 50 hours or more each week, plus I am in grad school and that can take about 10 (if not more) hours a week on top of that. That means I have no time to work out. I also felt guilty about leaving my dog by herself even more when I would go to the gym (which is part of the reason I tried running with her, but that was a disaster). I’m way too tired after teaching all day to even think about working out. And those are just recent excuses…

My other excuses over the years have included:
I have to be ____________ later and I just don’t want to have to shower again before then.
People look at me weird in the gym.
My face gets too red when I work out.
I’m just too uncoordinated to try that class.
I’m not fit enough to work out. (oh, the irony)

You know what I wish someone would have given me all those years? A big glass of shut the hell up. That’s what.



Are you tired? Working out gives you more energy.
Are you depressed? Working out gives you endorphins.
Are you self-conscious about how you look in workout clothes? Working out makes you look better in those clothes.
Are you self-conscious about your level of fitness? Working out is the only way to increase that level.
Are you too uncoordinated to try that class? Everyone else looks just as ridiculous as you do.
Are you too busy because of your kids? Give that kid a book/iPad/whatever and tell them you’ll give them a piece of chocolate (or fruit if you’re really daring) if they’ll leave you alone for a while. Or heck, get really crazy and let them work out with you.
Are you too busy because of your work schedule? You can get a workout in 30 minutes. That’s 2% of your day. An hour is 4% of your day. You have time.

My number one advice for excuses? GET. OVER. IT.

Beginning a BeachBody program was one of the best things I ever did for myself and this journey. I don’t have to drive all the way to the gym to get a workout, I don’t have to mess around in the gym for over an hour to get any kind of workout, and I get a support network that helps keep me motivated!

In order to commit, YOU’VE got to want it for yourself. You have to understand that you are in charge of your health, you are in charge of how you feel, you are in charge of how you look, and you are in charge of what you can accomplish. No one is standing in your way but yourself!


If you’re ready to commit to yourself and would like support doing it, I am going to be running my very first (don’t want you to be in my first group?!) challenge group beginning March 1st. It will be a 60-day group where YOU agree to commit to a fitness program and I give you the piece so many people are missing—support. I will be there EVERY day—keeping you motivated, cheering you on, and holding you accountability. If you’re in, fill in the contact form at the bottom of the page and I will contact you with more information!




No comments:

Post a Comment