Monday, August 3, 2015

A Fit Girl’s Essential Tools

As someone who works out regularly, I have noticed that, in order to be a really efficient “Fit Girl,” there are a few things that I need to be successful. Now, I want you to know that these may not necessarily be the things that YOU need to be successful, but they are what I’ve found to help me get off my butt and get going.



So, without further ado, here is my list of the five things that are essential to my fit life (click on the photos to see where to purchase):

1. Good Shoes and/or Good Yoga Mat:

When I first started working out, I worked out in some old tennis shoes that I hadn’t invested much money or care into. I didn’t know that certain types of workouts needed certain types of shoes or that you needed to buy tennis shoes based on your feet and how you walk, not on how pretty or flashy they are. As I started to work out more, I started to realize that my legs and feet were hurting pretty often, so I talked to a few fit friends and did a bit of googling and figured out that I needed some better shoes! My best tip in this department is to think about how you walk—do your feet bend in any way (inward or outward when you walk), and where is most of your impact occurring on your foot? Look up shoes that help with the problem that you are having or go to a shoe store and the employees there should be knowledgeable (if they’re not, then go to a better store).

Another problem I also had when I started working out, was slipping on my yoga mat. I do a lot of yoga-based workouts because of my need for low impact and my hand sweat was driving me crazy. Not to mention that all that downward dogging can be a pain on the wrists! If you know you’re going to be investing a lot of time in your practice, get a nice yoga mat! I got one that is extra thick, extra long, and extra grippy and it has worked wonders for me!
2. Proper Hair Accessories
I have very long hair and side bangs. I always have to have some method of holding my bangs back and keeping the rest of my hair off of my neck and out of my face. I see girls in workout videos with their hair down or flopping around and I’m like uhhh no. I won’t even cut my hair short because I know I wouldn’t be able to put it up if I did!

I used to just put my hair in a ponytail and bobby pins and call it a day, but now that I’m doing more intense workouts like Insanity Max 30 (which involves a lot of jumping around), my ponytail comes out! I not only have a lot of hair, but I have very smooth hair that doesn’t like to actually stay in my ponytail holder! I have now started to put it in a tight bun on top of my head and it seems to work!

What I also do it use a headband to secure my bangs. Since I’m moving around a lot, NO headband will stay in place (again, smooth hair), so I have started putting a couple bobby pins in my hair to attach the headband too it and it works perfectly!

When I find a better solution to the hair problem, I’ll be sure to let you know! J


3. Cute Fitness Clothes

It’s funny—now that I don’t work out in a gym, I like to wear cuter workout clothes than I did before. I guess when I went to the gym, I thought I would be judged for wearing tank tops with cute little fitness sayings on them, but now that I’m in my living room, I don’t have to worry about that! Having cute fitness clothes on (really, shopping for cute fitness clothes) motivates me because I feel better about myself in them! I also like that I can look in the mirror, see my corny quote on my shirt, and get a quick motivation!

Here are a few of my favorites!

  



4. Dry Shampoo

I HATE washing my hair! There is just so much of it and then I have to dry it and UGH. I just don’t like dealing with it very often! Plus, I’ve been really trying to work on making my hair healthier by not putting it through the stress of washing and drying quite as often and it’s working (with the help of Shakeology). But, I do have a daytime job and can’t be going through life looking like a greasy mess all the time (only some of the time…), so I have started using dry shampoo and it works wonders on me.

Here is my personal favorite:


This particular kind is great because it neutralizes your “hair” smell without it smelling like perfume. It’s also great because it’s a powder (the spray kind makes my hair look greasier) and the way that you put it on is by squeezing the bottle and it kind of PUFFs out. It’s nice! I just “spray” it all over my roots, let it sit for a minute or two, rub it in, then comb and brush it out! It’s great! J


5. Motivational Support

This is the MOST important thing a fit girl can have in her tool belt! There is nothing like people motivating you or complimenting you to help keep you consistent on your path to a healthy lifestyle! That’s what I love about being a Beachbody coach… I have a great opportunity to support someone new every day and their success makes me feel like I am doing something great with my free time!

What are your essentials in your “fit life”? I’d love to know them! Comment below or fill out the contact form at the bottom of the page and email me! J


No comments:

Post a Comment